What to Serve With Arugula Avocado Salad
Arugula avocado salad is the perfect side dish for a variety of lunches and dinners. Arugula is Italian, while avocados come from Mexico, so those two cuisines are a great place to look for inspiration. The richness of the avocado pairs well with lean entrées like chicken, fish, or vegetarian mains. Try it with Chef Gabriela Camara's Pescado a la Talla or Chef Thomas Keller’s agnolotti with peas and bacon. Arugula avocado salad also pairs well with grilled fish and cherry tomato kebabs or kale and pine nut pesto pasta. For an easy vegan, gluten-free lunch or weeknight dinner, add cooked quinoa and chickpeas to your arugula salad. For a non-vegan alternative, try crumbled feta cheese or shaved parmesan cheese or goat cheese.
Arugula Avocado Salad Recipe
Prep Time15 min
Total Time15 min
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, plus more if needed
- 4 large handfuls baby arugula
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more if needed
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, macerate sliced red onion with lemon juice, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a salad bowl, gently toss arugula and avocado together. When red onion has softened, add onion to arugula avocado salad, reserving lemon juice.
- Make the vinaigrette. Using a mortar and pestle, pound garlic clove and salt together to make a smooth paste. Transfer to the small bowl with the lemon juice. Add olive oil, mustard, lemon zest, and black pepper and whisk to emulsify. (Alternatively, transfer to a jar and shake to emulsify.) Taste for salt and acidity, adding more salt and/or lemon juice if needed.
- Drizzle salad dressing over arugula, avocado, and onion and gently toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Become a better chef with the MasterClass Annual Membership. Gain access to exclusive video lessons taught by culinary masters, including Gabriela Cámara, Chef Thomas Keller, Massimo Bottura, Dominique Ansel, Gordon Ramsay, Alice Waters, and more.