Chef Thomas Keller’s Recipe for German Potato Salad
Whole Grain Mustard Vinaigrette Recipe
- 225 grams white wine vinegar
- 50 grams Dijon mustard
- 50 grams whole grain mustard
- 10 grams kosher salt
- 550 grams canola oil
- Mixing bowl
German Potato Salad Recipe
- 600 grams Red Bliss potatoes
- 1000 grams Yukon Gold potatoes
- 400 grams whole grain mustard vinaigrette (see recipe above)
- 200 grams cucumbers
- 100 grams shallots
- 30 grams fresh parsley, minced
- 60 grams crispy cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 bunch watercress
- Kosher salt
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Mixing bowls
- Rubber spatula
- Large sauce pot
- Spider or skimmer
Method for Whole Grain Mustard Vinaigrette Recipe
- Combine the vinegar, mustards, and kosher salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk well until all ingredients are combined. Slowly drizzle in the canola oil while whisking vigorously.
- Continue whisking until well emulsified. Store refrigerated in an airtight container until needed.
Method for German Potato Salad Recipe
- Slice shallots on mandolin or with a chef’s knife to ⅛-inch thick. Combine sliced shallots with the whole grain mustard vinaigrette in a large mixing bowl.
- Slice the Red potatoes and Yukon Gold Creamers on a mandolin to ³⁄16-inches thick. Rinse the potatoes well and drain. Place the sliced potatoes into a large pot and cover with 1 inch of cold water. Set the potatoes over medium high heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer lightly until potatoes are just tender, but not falling apart.
- Transfer the potatoes using a spider or skimmer to the mixing bowl and fold in the vinaigrette and shallots until evenly distributed. Take care not to break the potatoes.
- Transfer the dressed potatoes to a container and cover.
- Cool in the refrigerator.
- Slice the cucumbers ⅛-inch thick and transfer to a small bowl. Add 1% kosher salt, based on the weight of the sliced cucumbers and let sit for 10 minutes. Pat the cucumbers dry as they will release liquid and store refrigerated in an airtight container.
- Let the dressed potatoes come to room temperature before serving. Fold in the salted cucumbers and minced fresh parsley, taking care not to break up the potatoes.
- Garnish with chopped crispy bacon and watercress sprigs.