Jump To Section
What Is a Batwing Sleeve?
A batwing sleeve, also known as a dolman sleeve, is a long sleeve with a baggy, wing-like appearance. A batwing starts wide at the shoulders and has deep armholes, with the sleeves tapering toward the wrist. They are loose-fitting and comfy, and come in a variety of stylings. Long batwing sleeves often appear on garments such as cardigans, pullover sweaters, turtlenecks, and kimonos. Learn about different types of sweaters in our complete guide.
6 Ways to Style a Batwing Sleeve
A batwing sleeve makes a versatile addition to both casual and elegant styles. Some different ways to create a batwing sleeve ensemble include:
- Cashmere hoodie and boots. This soft attire complements the cozy look of the batwing sleeve. Ramp up the chic look by pairing it with dark denim jeans and a pair of booties from your capsule wardrobe.
- Cowl-neck top and leggings. Another comfortable batwing style is a slouchy, knit, cowl-neck top over stretchy leggings with flats. This look is both casual and cozy, and can work for a lunch out or hanging out at home.
- Knit poncho with boyfriend jeans. Boyfriend jeans have a loose fit and a straight leg, which pairs well with an oversized, chunky, knitted poncho. You can wear this look with boots or platform sneakers. Learn more about different types of jeans.
- Long-sleeve sweater and skinny jeans. Long-sleeve batwing sweaters come in a variety of necklines, making them a versatile choice for different body types. A v-neck, scoop neck, or boatneck batwing-sleeve sweater tucked into a pair of high-waisted jeans, and a pair of boots is an excellent choice for a day of running errands or dressed up with accessories for a nice dinner out.
- Short-sleeve tunic top and shorts. Batwing sleeves also come in shorter versions and are sometimes seen on tunic tops. Wear this batwing-sleeve top over a pair of denim or fabric shorts, and pair with white sneakers or wedges.
- T-shirt and slacks. Even T-shirts can have batwing sleeves, giving your top a looser fit. Pair a v-neck or round-neck batwing t-shirt with slacks, and accessorize with a chunky necklace for a stylish, professional look that works well with heels or flats.
Want to Learn More About Unleashing Your Inner Fashionista?
Get a MasterClass Annual Membership and let Tan France be your very own style spirit guide. Queer Eye’s fashion guru spills everything he knows about building a capsule collection, finding a signature look, understanding proportions, and more (including why it’s important to wear underwear to bed)—all in a soothing British accent, no less.