Jump To Section
Different Eyebrow Makeup and Products
According to Bobbi Brown, “for eyebrows, you could use an eye shadow. You could use a formula specifically for eyebrows. You can also use a pencil. These are specifically for brows, slanted, with a really nice spoolie on the end.” There are myriad eyebrow products, including brow pencils, waxes, pomades, brow pens, and tinted gels, with pencils and gels being the most versatile for precise strokes and filling in perfect arches.
- Brow pencils. If you’re using a pencil, make sure you keep the tip sharpened (if it’s a twist-up pen, find one with a fine point). These come in multitudes of shades; opt for shades one or two darker and lighter than yours and blend together for a custom tone.
- Brow gel. Comes in many different formulas, but it’s mostly meant to darken and shape your brow hairs. Eyebrow gels can also hold stray brow hairs in place.
Brow wax. Has a stronger hold and can really mold your brow hairs into the look you want.
Additionally, a good brow brush goes a long way in a beauty bag; options with synthetic fibers can also serve a dual purpose in helping de-clump mascara from eyelashes.
4 Tips for Defining and Shaping Your Brows
“When doing brows, you start at the inside, you brush up, you fill it in, and then use the shadow to create the shape that will make the eye stand out,” says Bobbi Brown. Follow these tips for precision shaped brows, every time.
- Always work from your inner brow toward the ends, lightly brushing upward and outward, following the direction of your natural hair growth.
- Brush a spoolie through your brows to diffuse any harsh lines after filling them in with powder or pencil.
- If your brows begin looking overly filled or too dark, brush a tiny bit of face powder through them with a spoolie to diffuse the color.
- Your inner brow should line up with the inner corner of your eye, and the arch should be three-fourths of the way across your eye. When defining the tail end, follow the natural direction of your brow.
Bobbi Brown’s Favorite Brow Products
From eye shadow to brow palettes, Bobbi Brown recommends the best eyebrow products for achieving your signature look:
- Brow Pro Palette by Anastasia Beverly Hills. A functional workhorse of a brow kit, this complete set features colors that complement virtually every skin tone, undertone, and hair color. Use with an angled brush for optimum results.
- Boy De Chanel Eyebrow Pencil by Chanel. A waterproof eyebrow pencil ideal for deeper shades.
- Boy Brow by Glossier. The spoolie wand in Glossier’s Boy Brow provides even distribution of pomade across the brows (similar to a clear mascara).
- Micro Brow Pencil by Morphe. A natural looking filler for sparse brows, this dual-purpose retractable pencil doesn’t smudge or smear (like ink).
- Illusion D’Ombre by Chanel. A creamy, lightly pigmented eyeshadow that features long-wearing color ideal for adding to brows.
- Cream Eye Shadow Sticks by Nudestix. The cruelty-free brand provides a vegan eyeshadow pencil that excels in creating highlights and angles.
- Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow by Stila Cosmetics. A hint of sparkly pigment, for a more evening look.
- Eyeshadow Singles by Morphe. A range of natural tones in both matte finishes and light shimmers.
Get the MasterClass Annual Membership for exclusive access to video lessons taught by masters, including Bobbi Brown, RuPaul, Anna Wintour, Marc Jacobs, Diane von Furstenberg, and more.