Jump To Section
Chef Thomas Keller's Sauce Vierge Recipe
- 125 grams of tomatoes, peeled, cored, and diced
- 15 grams vinegar of your choice*
- 5 grams shallots, minced
- 35 grams extra virgin olive oil
- Maldon sea salt, to taste
- Pinch of parsley, minced
- Lemon, to taste
*Chef Keller often uses champagne vinegar in this preparation, but you can use a vinegar of your choice, according to your tastes. You can also add or replace the parsley with fresh basil.
- Place the diced tomatoes and minced shallots into a mixing bowl. Add enough olive oil to thoroughly coat and absorb into the tomatoes.
- Gently fold in the chopped parsley and season with Maldon salt, balsamic vinegar, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Note: The vierge sauce may be prepared up to a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator. If you refrigerate, allow the vierge to come to room temperature before serving so that the flavors unfold and the olive oil is not congealed.
Sauce vierge is incredibly versatile. Chef Keller suggests dressing a salad with it or using it atop melted zucchini. Find his recipe for roasted zucchini here.