What Is a Queen’s Park Swizzle Cocktail?
The Queen’s Park Swizzle originated as the signature cocktail of the Queen’s Park Hotel in Trinidad. With the boost of aged rum and two types of bitters, this Cuban cocktail recipe leans more toward the exotic and layered complexity of tiki drinks.
Queen’s Park Swizzle Recipe
Prep Time5 min
Total Time5 min
- 10 fresh mint leaves, plus mint tops for garnish
- 15ml (.5 oz.) demerara simple syrup (2:1)
- 15ml (.5 oz.) fresh lime juice
- 60ml (2 oz.) aged rum
- 3 to 4 dashes Angostura Bitters
- Separate the mint leaves from their stems, leaving the tops intact. Set the stems and tops aside.
- Drop the mint leaves into a highball glass. Add the demerara syrup and muddle gently.
- Combine the fresh lime juice and aged rum, then fill the glass about halfway with crushed ice.
- Swizzle until the highball glass begins to feel frosty.
- Fill the rest of the glass with crushed ice. Swizzle again if necessary. Top the glass with a mound of crushed ice and insert a straw.
- Add the Angostura Bitters to the top of the drink. Garnish with a bouquet of mint sprigs placed in the ice next to the straw.
Learn more about mixology from award-winning bartenders. Refine your palate, explore the world of spirits, and shake up the perfect cocktail for your next gathering with the MasterClass All-Access Pass.