Jump To Section
9 Fashion Tips for Styling Spring Outfits
These spring outfit ideas will take you through the season with ease.
- Mix up the floral dress. When everything seems to be in bloom, it's natural to choose floral prints. Instead of the standard spring dress, switch things up by choosing a matching floral crop top and skirt, or mix two different floral prints. Toughen up a floral look by pairing it with a denim jacket (or leather jacket) and athletic sneakers or combat boots. Or, go for a boho look with a button-down floral maxi dress belted at the waist and paired with cowboy boots or suede booties.
- Become a layering expert. A light jacket is the best way to be prepared for April showers or especially cool spring weather. Whether you choose a packable raincoat, a wear-anywhere trench coat, or a cashmere cardigan that you can tie around your waist when it gets hot, always keep spring outerwear on hand. If you’re expecting rain, make sure your trench coat is actually waterproof before heading out into the rain.
- Try a long-sleeved spring dress. Dresses are the epitome of spring style. So what should you do if the warm weather hasn't quite hit your region? If it's too cold for a sleeveless minidress, try a long-sleeved midi dress. Or, throw your favorite strappy sundress over a white tee or turtleneck and leggings.
- Pair blazers with flowy skirts at the office. When warmer weather hits, make a midi skirt office-appropriate by pairing it with a plaid or houndstooth blazer. A belt adds polish to the look. Not into skirts? Try a lightweight jumpsuit. Loafers or flats with no-show socks are ideal office footwear options.
- Choose an oversize shirt for outerwear. If you haven't found a great lightweight jacket, consider instead an oversize or men's button-up shirt in light wash denim. It looks equally great thrown over a tight T-shirt and mom jeans as it does with a silk cami. Come summer, you can wear it over a bikini as a mini shirt-dress.
- Ditch the skinny jeans. Straight-leg white jeans and denim shorts are both great looks for spring. Skinny jeans? Not so much. Opt instead for a wide-leg or straight-leg cut to increase air circulation.
- Embrace white sneakers. Sneakers are a great choice for spring when it's not quite hot enough for sandals but too warm for booties. White sneakers add a fresh, clean note to your spring look. When they inevitably get dirty, just throw them in the washing machine, and your white sneakers will look as good as new.
- Show off your socks. Long deemed a fashion no-no, socks with sandals is a fun fashion trend to try with casual outfits. Choose socks in bright colors and pair them with chunky sandals for maximum impact. Not ready for that trend? Show off your cute socks with your white sneakers. If you want to try a patterned sock, polka dots are a great place to start.
- Explore spring footwear. What's in between summer sandals and fall ankle boots? When you need to wear something dressier than white sneakers or sandals with socks, look for an open-back, closed-toe option, like low heels with a slingback, mules, or clogs. Chunky heels and wedges are great for outdoor events like graduations and weddings. Leather and suede are great textures for transitional dressing, but they'll be destroyed by a rainstorm—be sure to check the weather before you leave the house.
Want to Learn More About Unleashing Your Inner Fashionista?
Get a MasterClass Annual Membership and let Tan France be your very own style spirit guide. Queer Eye’s fashion guru spills everything he knows about building a capsule collection, finding a signature look, understanding proportions, and more (including why it’s important to wear underwear to bed)—all in a soothing British accent, no less.