Jump To Section
5 Tips for Finding a Great Tailor
When it comes to altering an expensive suit jacket or a favorite pair of pants, you want to make sure your pieces are in the hands of a good tailor.
- Decide what kind of tailor you need. Different tailors have different areas of expertise. You might be able to go to your local dry cleaners for a simple hemming job, but they may not have the capacity to create a bespoke suit or custom dress shirt. When searching for the best tailor for the job, describe the specific work you need done in detail. You might need to have more than one tailor to deal with different clothing alterations.
- Ask about the cost upfront. Most tailors don’t list pricing for their tailoring services because the cost can vary depending on the complexity of the project. Ask for a cost estimate before you go in for a fitting to make sure your new tailor shop is within your budget.
- Start with a test run. If you're looking for a new tailor, start with basic alterations. The first time you go in, bring a pair of pants in need of a simple hem or a blazer with jacket sleeves that aren't the right length. This is a good way to start your relationship and see if you actually like the finished product before requesting more complicated alterations.
- Be realistic about turnaround times. The time it takes to tailor an item will depend on the complexity of the task and how busy your tailor is. Give yourself plenty of time so that you can avoid a last-minute tailoring emergency. Communicate clearly with your tailor so that you know exactly when to expect your item back.
- Over-communicate. In addition to communicating clearly with your tailor about price and turnaround times, it's important to choose a tailor who understands your needs. Don't be embarrassed to get specific about how you want your shirt cuffs and denim to look and fit. A good tailor will want to know exactly what you're looking for so that you won't be disappointed with the end result.
Want to Learn More About Unleashing Your Inner Fashionista?
Get a MasterClass Annual Membership and let Tan France be your very own style spirit guide. Queer Eye’s fashion guru spills everything he knows about building a capsule collection, finding a signature look, understanding proportions, and more (including why it’s important to wear underwear to bed)—all in a soothing British accent, no less.