History of the Dark ‘N’ Stormy
The flavorful Dark ‘N’ Stormy cocktail originated in Bermuda immediately after World War I, where an early member of the Gosling rum family combined Gosling’s Black Seal rum and the local Barritt’s ginger beer. Legend has it that a sailor held up the drink and said it was “the color of a cloud only a fool or a dead man would sail under”—and the Dark ‘N’ Stormy was born.
Dark ‘N’ Stormy Cocktail Recipe
Prep Time3 min
Total Time3 min
- 2 ounces Gosling’s Black Seal Bermuda black rum
- 3 ounces ginger beer
- Optional: Lime wedge or lime wheel, for garnish
- Fill a tall glass (such as a highball glass) with ice cubes.
- Pour ginger beer into the glass.
- Pour rum into the glass; if you pour carefully, the rum should float atop the ginger beer.
- Garnish with a lime wedge, if desired. Serve cold and stir before drinking.
Learn more about mixology from award-winning bartenders. Refine your palate, explore the world of spirits, and shake up the perfect cocktail for your next gathering with the MasterClass Annual Membership.