What Is Stir-Fry?
Stir-fry is a Chinese cooking technique that involves cooking food over high heat in a wok. Constantly tossing the ingredients allows food to become crispy without getting scorched. This method is especially useful for veggies and quick-cooking proteins like chicken breast, and it is most successful when every ingredient is cut into small, uniform pieces. Although stir-fry is technically a method of cooking, in many non-Asian countries, it's also the name of a dish.
What to Serve With Chicken Stir-Fry?
White rice is the most common side dish for stir-fry. Don't skimp on the rice: Any leftovers can be turned into fried rice the next day. If you want to shake things up, try brown rice or quinoa. A side of hot sauce is a good idea if you prefer your food on the spicy side.
Simple Chicken Stir-Fry Recipe
Prep Time15 min
Total Time25 min
Cook Time10 min
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ⅓ cup sesame oil
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 green onions, sliced ¼ inch thick, white and green parts separated
- 1 red bell pepper, diced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup green beans, sliced ½ inch thick
- 2 cups snow peas or sugar snap peas, cut in half
- 1 zucchini, sliced into half moons
- 2 cups broccoli florets (or substitute cauliflower)
- 1 head baby bok choy, thinly sliced
- 1 cup baby corn
- ¾ cup water chestnuts (or substitute cashews)
- Rice, to serve (optional)
- Make the stir-fry sauce. In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, chicken broth, brown sugar, cornstarch, red pepper flakes, and sesame seeds.
- Add chicken pieces to the stir-fry sauce and toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet over high heat, heat sesame oil until shimmering. Add ginger, garlic, and the white part of the scallions and stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add chicken and any leftover marinade and stir-fry until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Stir-fry until vegetables are crisp-tender, chicken is cooked through, and ingredients are fully coated with sauce, about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot over rice.
Become a better chef with the MasterClass Annual Membership. Gain access to exclusive video lessons taught by culinary masters, including Gabriela Cámara, Chef Thomas Keller, Massimo Bottura, Dominique Ansel, Gordon Ramsay, Alice Waters, and more.