What to Eat With Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry sauce is a flexible gluten-free side dish that can mingle effortlessly with the various rich side dishes of Thanksgiving dinner or add a flavor boost to next-day turkey sandwiches. The tangy spread can be used as more than just a tasty holiday accompaniment. Cranberry sauce is a multipurpose, vegan condiment that you can serve with:
- Appetizers. Cranberry sauce brings an irresistible tartness to a baked brie or a cheese platter with a range of rich, funky cheeses and seedy crackers.
- Roasted meats. The kicky, acidic notes in cranberry combined with the floral aromatics of an orange is a perfect match for deeply caramelized meats and pan juices, like pan-seared pork chops and sage or roasted chicken with rosemary.
- Breakfast. Spoon cranberry sauce over pancakes, use it as a spread for toast, or as a tangy yogurt topping.
- Desserts. Add cranberry sauce to cheesecake or vanilla ice cream for a bright, tart, fruity note.
- Smoothies. Frozen cranberry sauce is a great way to give your morning smoothies a boost of vitamin C and vitamin A. Freeze leftover cranberry sauce in an ice cube tray for easier blending.
Classic Cranberry Sauce Recipe
Prep Time10 min
Total Time30 min
Cook Time20 min
- 1 ½ cups orange juice, from about 5 oranges
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest, or orange peel from 1 orange
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 12-ounce bags fresh cranberries (frozen cranberries will also work; allow them to come to room temperature before using)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the orange juice, zest, sugar, and water to a simmer.
- Add the cranberries and cinnamon stick, and increase to high heat. Once the mixture comes to a boil, dial the heat back down to a simmer and cook until cranberries burst, stirring or swirling the pan occasionally.
- When cranberries have broken and the sauce has thickened to your preference, about 10 minutes, remove from the heat and transfer to a heat-proof bowl to cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, or freeze for later use.
Become a better chef with the MasterClass All-Access Pass. Gain access to exclusive video lessons taught by culinary masters, including Gabriela Cámara, Chef Thomas Keller, Massimo Bottura, Dominique Ansel, Gordon Ramsay, Alice Waters, and more.