3 Ways to Use Pear Butter
Pear butter is the perfect spread for whole-grain toast or a homemade English muffin. If you’re looking to get creative with pear butter, try it:
- In a parfait: Infuse a granola-and-yogurt parfait with fall flavor by layering in pear butter.
- On a cheese plate: Pear butter goes especially well with blue cheese.
- On a sandwich: Pear butter makes for an unexpected sandwich spread when topped with pulled pork or sliced turkey.
Vanilla-Spiced Pear Butter Recipe
Prep Time15 min
Total Time2 hr 45 min
Cook Time2 hr 30 min
- 5 pounds ripe pears, such as Bartlett pears, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
- ½ cup sugar (or substitute brown sugar, maple syrup, or honey)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, orange juice, or apple cider vinegar
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 cardamom pod
- 2 allspice berries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise pod
- Pinch of salt
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan or other wide, shallow pan over high heat, combine pears, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla seeds with enough water to just cover.
- Wrap the spices (including the empty vanilla seedpod) in a piece of cheesecloth and add to the pear mixture. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a lively simmer. Simmer until the pears are very soft, about 30 minutes.
- Remove spice sachet and pass pears through a food mill into a bowl. If you don’t have a food mill, purée with an immersion blender or in a food processor.
- Return pear purée to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, until the mixture has reduced significantly and is very thick and glossy, about 2 hours.
- To test doneness, remove a spoonful of pear butter and let rest at room temperature, away from the steam, for 2 minutes. If the butter remains mounded on the spoon, it’s ready. Alternatively, spoon a little pear butter onto a chilled plate. If liquid runs off the pear butter, it needs more time.
- When pear butter has reached the desired consistency, season with a pinch of salt. Spoon into jars and let cool to room temperature. Pear butter will keep, refrigerated, about 3 weeks.
Become a better chef with the MasterClass Annual Membership. Gain access to exclusive video lessons taught by culinary masters, including Gabriela Cámara, Chef Thomas Keller, Massimo Bottura, Dominique Ansel, Gordon Ramsay, Alice Waters, and more.