Jump To Section
How to Make Perfect Garlic Bread
Learn how to make the best garlic bread in three easy steps.
- Make the garlic butter. Combine softened butter with garlic, cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper. The garlic butter mixture can be made ahead and refrigerated; allow it to come to room temperature before using.
- Prepare the baguette. Cut deep slits into the loaf from one end to the other—but don’t slice all the way through. Set the baguette on a large piece of aluminum foil. Spread garlic butter in each slit. Wrap the bread in foil.
- Bake the bread. Set the foil-wrapped bread on a baking sheet and bake in a 400°F oven for 15 minutes, then carefully open the foil to expose the top of the bread. Return to oven and bake until golden brown on top and crispy on the edges, about 5 more minutes.
3 Variations on Classic Garlic Bread
If you’ve made classic homemade garlic bread and are ready to branch out, there are several tasty variations:
- Cheesy garlic bread: For cheesy garlic bread, bake the garlic bread for about 15 minutes, then remove and place a slice of low-moisture mozzarella cheese into each slit. Return the loaf to the oven, uncovered, until the cheese is bubbly, about 5 more minutes.
- Herb garlic bread: When making the garlic butter, add a combination of tender herbs such as basil and chives. Make a little extra herb mixture, and sprinkle it on top of the bread when you take it out of the oven.
- Extra garlicky garlic bread: For really pungent garlic bread, like the kind you'll find at an Italian restaurant, add garlic powder and dried oregano to the butter mixture along with the fresh-pressed garlic cloves.
Garlic Bread Recipe
Prep Time10 min
Total Time30 min
Cook Time20 min
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened (or use a combination of butter and extra virgin olive oil)
- 4–6 cloves garlic, grated or pounded with a pinch of salt
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 loaf French bread or baguette
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the garlic butter mixture: In a small bowl, combine softened butter with garlic, parmesan, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Using a sharp bread knife, cut slits in the loaf 1 inch apart. Cut slits as deep as possible while still keeping the loaf intact. Transfer loaf to a large piece of aluminum foil.
- Using a spatula, knife, or spoon, spread garlic butter in each slit in the bread. Wrap bread in foil and place on a baking tray.
- Bake loaf 15 minutes, then uncover and let bake until golden brown, about 5 more minutes.
Become a better chef with the MasterClass Annual Membership. Gain access to exclusive video lessons taught by culinary masters, including Massimo Bottura, Gabriela Cámara, Chef Thomas Keller, Dominique Ansel, Gordon Ramsay, Alice Waters, and more.