What Is Lyonnaise Salad?
Lyonnaise salad, also known as salade Lyonnaise, is a French salad that features frisée lettuce and lardons, topped with a poached egg, croutons, and vinaigrette. The bitter greens and tangy vinaigrette balance the richness of the egg yolks and lardons. Lyonnaise salad is a great appetizer for classic bistro fare like steak frites, but can also serve it as a light meal on its own.
Lyonnaise Salad Recipe
Prep Time15 min
Total Time25 min
Cook Time10 min
- ½ small shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar (or substitute red wine vinegar)
- 4 ounces of lardons (or substitute pancetta or good quality thick-cut bacon), diced into bite-size pieces
- 4 large eggs, cracked into individual ramekins or small bowls
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large frisée lettuce head (or substitute a mix of curly endive, escarole and/or arugula), roughly torn
- Fresh baguette, to serve (optional)
- Place the minced shallot in a small bowl and cover with sherry vinegar. Set aside.
- Cook the lardons. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté lardons (or substitute) until crispy, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer lardons to a paper towel-lined plate. Pour lardon or bacon fat into the bowl with the shallot and vinegar.
- Make the vinaigrette. Add dijon mustard, olive oil, and black pepper to the bowl with the shallots, vinegar, and bacon fat, and whisk to emulsify.
- Poach the eggs. Fill a small saucepan with about 4 inches of water and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Slide each egg into the simmering water and poach until whites are fully opaque, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, divide frisée and lardons over four plates. Use a slotted spoon to transfer poached eggs to the center of each plate. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve with baguette.
Become a better chef with the MasterClass Annual Membership. Gain access to exclusive video lessons taught by culinary masters, including Chef Thomas Keller, Gabriela Cámara, Massimo Bottura, Dominique Ansel, Gordon Ramsay, Alice Waters, and more.