How to Serve Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes (also known as yams, although there is technically a difference) are a versatile root vegetable. You can play up their sweetness and top them with brown sugar, maple syrup, and marshmallows for a caramelized sweet potato casserole, or you can purée them into a sweet potato pie. You can also take them in a savory direction, topping them with a fried egg for breakfast or adding them to a vegan grain bowl with quinoa and avocado. Once you've learned this simple technique for roasting sweet potatoes, you'll want to eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Try crispy roasted sweet potatoes as a taco filling: wrapped in tortillas and topped with pickled onions, cotija, salsa, and cilantro. Or, roast sweet potato fries and serve them with burgers or fried chicken.
Simple Roasted Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Prep Time15 min
Total Time1 hr
Cook Time45 min
- 3 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or warmed coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large rimmed baking sheet or shallow baking dish with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Peel sweet potatoes, if desired, or leave the sweet potato skins on (they're edible). Cut sweet potatoes into wedges or bite-sized pieces. Sweet potato cubes are great for salads, while sweet potato wedges are an easy side dish. Whatever shape you choose, try to make the pieces the same size for even cooking.
- Arrange sweet potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, and garlic powder. Toss to evenly coat.
- Bake until tender, crispy, and lightly charred, about 45 minutes, tossing about halfway through cooking time.
Become a better chef with the MasterClass All-Access Pass. Gain access to exclusive video lessons taught by culinary masters, including Gabriela Cámara, Chef Thomas Keller, Massimo Bottura, Dominique Ansel, Gordon Ramsay, Alice Waters, and more.