Jump To Section
How to Apply False Eyelashes: A Step-By-Step Guide
Here’s how to put on fake eyelashes like a makeup artist, even if it’s your first time.
- Prep your lashes. Pick out your false eyelashes and lash glue, and decide where you want to place them on your lashline. False eyelashes come in many different styles, including strips, individual lashes, and groups of lashes. You’ll also want special glue to adhere the lashes to your eyelids. Trim eyelashes with cuticle scissors if necessary, snipping the lashes at slightly different lengths (not blunt across) for a more natural look. You can also snip eyelash strips in half for easier application. For a cat-eye look, try applying longer lashes to the outer corner of your eye.
- Curl your eyelashes. Use an eyelash curler to curl your natural eyelashes. This will allow the false eyelashes to blend in better with your natural lashes. If you’re using individual lashes, apply a coat of mascara now to prevent clumping later. (For strips, you’ll want to apply your mascara after you apply the lashes.)
- Prep the glue. Make a little puddle of glue on the lid, the back of your hand, or another surface. You can also use the back of your hand as a palette for individual lashes.
- Apply the lashes. For a full strip of lashes, dip the back of the strip in the eyelash glue. Let the glue air-dry until tacky, while bending and twisting the strip lashes to fit your eye shape. Use your hands or a lash applicator to attach the glue side of the lash strip to the top of your lash line. For individual lashes (or smaller groups of lashes), use tweezers to dip the end of each lash into the glue and apply as close to the root of your eyelashes as you can safely get. Let the glue dry for about a minute. Use individual lashes to fill in gaps in your natural lash line, or layer them for more drama.
- Blend your eyelashes. Use mascara to blend your real lashes into the false eyelashes. Go over your mascara with a spoolie brush to remove any clumps of product. Use liquid eyeliner to cover up the lash band, seamlessly blending them into the rest of your eye makeup.
How to Remove False Eyelashes
Don’t forget to remove your false eyelashes at the end of the night. First, dissolve the glue by applying a little warm water or eye makeup remover to the area with a cotton swab. Wait a minute or so to let the makeup remover do its job. Then, gently peel off the lashes.
Want to Learn More About Makeup and Beauty?
Whether you already know a blush brush from a bronzer brush or are simply looking for tips on bringing glamour into your daily routine, navigating the beauty industry takes knowledge, skill, and practical experience. No one knows their way around a makeup bag better than Bobbi Brown, the makeup artist who built a career and a multi-million dollar brand with one simple philosophy: Be who you are. In Bobbi Brown’s MasterClass on Makeup and Beauty, learn how to do the perfect smoky eye, find the best makeup routine for the workplace, and hear Bobbi’s advice for aspiring makeup artists.
Get the MasterClass Annual Membership for exclusive access to video lessons taught by masters, including Bobbi Brown, RuPaul, Anna Wintour, Marc Jacobs, Diane von Furstenberg, and more.