How to Make the Lyan Mary
- Spice the sherry. The first part of this recipe involves blasting a wide array of spices into some fino sherry by hacking a culinary whipped cream dispenser into a DIY rapid infusion tool.
- Make the mix. The second part involves building layers of savory flavors into the tomato mix.
- Combine the cocktail. You then combine the Bloody Mary mix with the spiced sherry, vodka, hot sauce, and lemon juice.
- Gather the garnish. Instead of a skewer of veggie pickles or celery salt rim, Ryan Chetiyawardana opts for a simple celery stalk or lime wedge to garnish this popular brunch cocktail.
The result, for all of its ingredients, is a finely balanced and nuanced take on the classic Bloody Mary. Feel free to substitute spirits like gin, Scotch whisky, blanco tequila (for a Bloody Maria), mezcal, or aquavit for vodka; all will still work in harmony with the spiced sherry.
Ryan Chetiyawardana’s Lyan Mary Cocktail Recipe
Prep Time15 min
Total Time25 min
Cook Time10 min
For the spiced sherry:
- 250 milliliters (10 ounces) fino sherry
- 2 lemon peels
- 2 bar spoons fresh chile pepper, such as jalapeño or habanero, deseeded (use a spicier variety for a spicy Bloody Mary)
- 1 pinch celery seed
- 2 pinches coriander seed
- 2 pinches black peppercorn
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cacao nibs
- 3 fresh raspberries
For the tomato mix:
- 50 milliliters (2 ounces) filtered hot water
- 150 milliliters (6 ounces) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 500 milliliters (20 ounces) tomato juice
- 500 milliliters (20 ounces) passata (tomato purée)
For the cocktail:
- 40 milliliters (1.6 ounces) vodka
- 15 milliliters (0.6 ounces) spiced sherry
- 15 milliliters (0.6 ounces) fresh lemon juice
- 125 milliliters (3 ounces) tomato mix
- 10 drops Tabasco sauce
- Celery stalk or lemon wedge, for garnish
- Make the spiced sherry: Add all ingredients to an iSi canister, then charge the canister with a nitrous capsule. Shake briefly and allow the contents to infuse for 10 minutes. Carefully vent the gas, then pour the contents through a coffee filter. Refrigerate until ready to use or up to 1 month.
- Make the tomato mix: Add water to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat and stir miso into the water until completely dissolved. Allow to cool, then add the rest of the ingredients. Pour the tomato mix into a resealable container and store in the refrigerator.
- Make the cocktail: Add all cocktail ingredients except for the celery and lemon to a highball glass filled with ice cubes. Stir to mix. Add more ice, and garnish with a stick of celery or a lemon slice.
Learn more about mixology from award-winning bartenders. Refine your palate, explore the world of spirits, and shake up the perfect cocktail for your next gathering with the MasterClass All-Access Pass.