What Is a Cobb Salad?
Cobb salad is a composed salad, with ingredients that are sliced, chopped, or grated and arranged in stripes over a bed of mixed greens. Traditionally, the lettuces are romaine, iceberg, endive, and watercress, which all get topped with lines of crispy bacon, crumbled Roquefort cheese, shredded cheddar, hard-boiled eggs, avocado, chopped chicken or turkey, and tomato. The whole thing then gets dressed with red wine vinaigrette and sprinkled with chives.
The History of the Cobb Salad
The Cobb salad was invented in Los Angeles in the 1930s. The legend goes that Bob Cobb, owner of celebrity hangout The Brown Derby, was looking for a midnight snack one night in 1937 and composed this salad out of bits and pieces from the walk-in. Some also say executive chef Robert Kreis created the salad as a regular menu item and named it after his boss. Whatever the case, Cobb salad is forever associated with the now-closed L.A. restaurant and movie stars of yesteryear.
Quick and Easy Cobb Salad Recipe
Prep Time40 min
Total Time40 min
For the salad dressing:
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup neutral-flavor vegetable oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 1 head romaine lettuce, trimmed and chopped or torn into bite-size pieces
- ½ head iceberg lettuce, trimmed and chopped or torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 head endive, trimmed and chopped or torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 bunch watercress, tough lower stems removed
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced (or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, poached or grilled and chopped into bite-size pieces (or use a rotisserie chicken)
- 4 large eggs, hard-boiled, peeled, and quartered lengthwise
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 8 strips crispy cooked bacon, crumbled
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Roquefort or other blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine mustard, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and lemon juice. Whisk in oils and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the salad: In a large bowl, mix together romaine, iceberg, endive, and watercress to evenly distribute.
- Arrange the tomatoes, chicken, eggs, avocado, bacon, cheddar, and Roquefort in neat rows on top of the bed of greens. Briefly whisk the dressing to re-emulsify if necessary, then drizzle lightly over the salad. Sprinkle chives on top and serve with remaining dressing on the side.
Become a better home cook with the MasterClass All-Access Pass. Gain access to exclusive video lessons taught by culinary masters, including Gordon Ramsay, Chef Thomas Keller, Alice Waters, and more.