Jump To Section
What Is Shichimi Togarashi?
Shichimi togarashi is a Japanese spice blend that translates to “seven-flavor chili pepper.” Sometimes called “Japanese seven spice,” shichimi togarashi is typically made from seven ingredients: red chili pepper, sansho pepper, hemp seeds and/or poppy seeds, white sesame seeds and/or black sesame seeds, ground ginger, yuzu or mandarin orange peel, and nori. Believed to have originated in seventeenth-century Tokyo, this spice mix is now a Japanese pantry staple.
3 Types of Japanese Togarashi
There are three popular chili powder seasonings in Japanese cuisine:
- Shichimi togarashi: Also known as Japanese seven spice, this spice blend includes red chili pepper, sansho pepper, hemp seeds and/or poppy seeds, sesame seeds, ginger, citrus peel, and nori.
- Ichimi togarashi: This simple chili powder, which means “one-flavor chili pepper” in Japanese, is simply red chili pepper. It is hotter than shichimi togarashi since it does not have the add-ons that give shichimi togarashi its citrusy, nutty, umami flavors.
- Nanami togarashi: Nanami togarashi, which translates to "seven seas chili pepper,” contains similar flavors to shichimi togarashi but is more citrus-forward to better complement seafood dishes.
How to Use Shichimi Togarashi
Shichimi togarashi is an all-purpose condiment and finishing seasoning that you can add to a variety of soups, sides, and entrees.
- Soups: Shichimi togarashi adds flavor to miso soup and noodle soups, such as ramen and udon.
- Sides: Sprinkle avocado toast, plain rice, and popcorn with shichimi togarashi, or add it to tempura batter for an added kick for tempura vegetables.
- Meats: Shichimi togarashi is often served with yakitori (grilled meats), shabu-shabu, and stir fry.
- Seafood: Elevate the flavor of raw clams or oysters can be elevated with shichimi togarashi.
Shichimi Togarashi Seasoning Recipe
Makesabout 1/2 cup
Prep Time10 min
Total Time10 min
- 2 tablespoons ground red pepper, such as ichimi togarashi or cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated dried orange peel
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds and/or black sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds and/or poppyseeds
- 1 teaspoon ground sansho peppercorns or Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon nori flakes (cut from about ½ sheet nori, or sold as anori)
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Place all ingredients in a medium bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Transfer the blend to an airtight container, and keep it in a cool, dry place.
- Sprinkle a small amount on grilled meats, noodle soups, and more.
Become a better chef with the MasterClass Annual Membership. Gain access to exclusive video lessons taught by culinary masters, including Niki Nakayama, Gabriela Cámara, Chef Thomas Keller, Yotam Ottolenghi, Dominique Ansel, Gordon Ramsay, Alice Waters, and more.