Jump To Section
Bobbi Brown’s Tips for Achieving a Natural Makeup Look
Keeping Bobbi’s makeup tips and her philosophy of effortlessness and embracing imperfections in mind, here are a few tenets of the no-makeup makeup look:
- Fresh, healthy skin is a statement all its own, so taking care of your skin and keeping it healthy is important.
- Moisture is the foundation of any and every makeup or no-makeup look, so find a moisturizer you like that immediately makes your skin looks better right after you apply it. Also, before you reach for foundation or concealer, see if moisturizer can’t even out any dullness or rough patches first. Makeup will only draw attention to a blemish or rough patch if not applied correctly or piled on.
- Avoid a full-coverage complexion look for this one. Spot-cover with foundation or concealer just in places you need to even out your skin.
- Go for creamy and sheer makeup textures to tint, brighten, and highlight your face.
How to Achieve a No-Makeup Makeup Look: Step-by-Step Guide
Here’s how to get the no-makeup makeup look, step by step.
- Start with skincare: Prep skin with your face with moisturizer, SPF, and primer (if you use it).
- Spot-cover with foundation, concealer, BB cream, or tinted moisturizer. To achieve a natural look, focus on covering blemishes, dark circles, or anywhere that your skin looks uneven, rather than going for full coverage. Use Bobbi’s tips for identifying your undertones to find the best nude makeup for your unique skin tone. For the under eye area, try layering color corrector underneath a concealer that is a shade lighter than your skin tone. Since skin isn’t naturally matte, try setting your foundation with a subtly shimmery illuminating powder.
- For a sun-kissed look, apply bronzer around the perimeter of your face, along your jawline, and below your cheekbones.
- On the cheeks, try a little cream blush on just the apples of the cheeks, followed by a swipe of subtly shimmery highlighter on cheekbones.
- For a more natural eye, try applying a warm eyeshadow in the eye crease, a deeper shade along the lashline and outer eye corner, and a little shimmer in the middle of the lid. If you have a nude eyeshadow palette, you can play around with different colors to find something that blends into your face. Enhance your natural eyelashes with an eyelash curler and black or brown mascara on the top lashes. Fill in eyebrows or apply brow gel, if needed.
- For lips, try a nude lip liner that matches your natural lip color, then fill in with nude lipstick, lip gloss, or tinted lip balm.
Want to Learn More About Makeup and Beauty?
Whether you already know a blush brush from a bronzer brush or are simply looking for tips on bringing glamour into your daily routine, navigating the beauty industry takes knowledge, skill, and practical experience. No one knows their way around a makeup bag better than Bobbi Brown, the makeup artist who built a career and a multi-million dollar brand with one simple philosophy: Be who you are. In Bobbi Brown’s MasterClass on Makeup and Beauty, learn how to do the perfect smoky eye, find the best makeup routine for the workplace, and hear Bobbi’s advice for aspiring makeup artists.
Get the MasterClass Annual Membership for exclusive access to video lessons taught by masters, including Bobbi Brown, RuPaul, Anna Wintour, Marc Jacobs, Diane von Furstenberg, and more.