Recipe: How to Make Gordon Ramsay's Homemade Pasta DoughEMAIL RECIPE
- 2 cups 00 flour
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil 4 whole eggs, plus 2 yolks
(Gluten-free tip: try this gluten-free pasta recipe.)
- Put 00 flour onto a cold surface and use a fork to form a well in center. Season the center of the well with salt and add olive oil. Crack eggs into bowl and gently whisk together.
- Add a third of whisked eggs into well. Use the fork to gradually incorporate flour into the eggs. Once mostly soaked in, add another third, continuing to mix into the flour, careful not to let eggs slide out. Create another well in the middle of the flour and egg mixture and add the remaining egg, combining until the dough looks like crumbs.
- Once all the egg is incorporated, flour your hands and begin forming a ball. Continue to flour your hands and knead the ball of dough until firm and elastic, turning and twisting the ball for about 10 minutes. Wrap in plastic wrap and rest for at least 20 minutes before rolling.
Important Cooking Tips
- It’s important to make pasta dough on a cold surface such as marble.
- Too much flour and your pasta will be dry. Not enough flour and your pasta will be wet, sticking to the machines rollers when you feed the dough through. You can always add flour, but you can’t take it away.
- Lightly flour your machine before you feed the dough through every time to prevent it from sticking. Make sure your hands (both backs and palms), as well as your surface, are lightly coated in flour.
- Never wash your pasta machine. Don’t have a pasta machine? It’s time to invest in one! Do some research on pasta makers using this article as your guide.
Once you’ve mastered the art of making fresh pasta, get artistic with color and flavor! Try making squid ink pasta, orange tomato paste-colored pasta, spinach pasta, and beet-colored pasta!