Jump To Section
6 Tips for Finding Jeans That Fit Perfectly
Well-tailored clothing is the secret to looking stylish, and no single item is as important in this regard as jeans. Learn how to find the best denim:
- Go retail, not e-tail. Shop in person when you buy jeans, especially if you’re trying out a new brand or a different style or fit. The only exception is if you’re re-buying a pair you already know fits great.
- Choose three sizes. When you try on denim, bring three sizes of jeans into the fitting room: the size you think you are, one above, and one below. If “your” size fits, still try all three on to make sure. You may need to try on more than three sizes to find your perfect fit, especially if you’re trying multiple fits, styles, or denim brands.
- You don’t need to splurge. Trends change, and sizes do, too. Buying affordable jeans will give you the flexibility to try different denim styles, and you’ll feel more comfortable buying new jeans if you change shape. Remember—it’s crucial that your jeans fit comfortably.
- Try a slim fit. It’s fun to play with proportions, especially when it comes to jeans, but tapered tends to be more flattering than bootcut jeans or straight-leg jeans. If you’re looking for a basic, everyday jean that compliments your body shape, try a slimmer leg with a bit of stretch. Whether you prefer high-rise, mid-rise, low-rise jeans, the best jeans tend to be on the slimmer side.
- Skinny jeans are for everyone. If you’ve never tried skinny jeans before, you might be missing out on one of the most figure-flattering looks. Skinny jeans come in all sizes, and they’re suited to all body types—hourglass, rectangle, inverted triangle, apple, and pear.
- Consider length. Cropped pants can be very stylish, but they can also create the illusion of disproportionately short legs. When shopping for good jeans, think about your body type and proportions, and also how you’ll style your new jeans.
Want to Learn More About Unleashing Your Inner Fashionista?
Get a MasterClass All-Access Pass and let Tan France be your very own style spirit guide. Queer Eye’s fashion guru spills everything he knows about building a capsule collection, finding a signature look, understanding proportions, and more (including why it’s important to wear underwear to bed)—all in a soothing British accent, no less.