The Origins of the Gin Rickey Cocktail
This classic cocktail is named after lobbyist Colonel Joe Rickey, who allegedly collaborated on the cocktail recipe with bartender George A. Williamson at Shoomaker’s Bar in Washington D.C. in the 1880s. The original recipe called for bourbon, but over the years gin became a more popular substitute.
Classic Gin Rickey Cocktail Recipe
Prep Time5 min
Total Time5 min
- 2 ounces gin
- ¾ ounce fresh lime juice
- 4 ounces club soda or seltzer
- Lime wedge or lime wheel, for garnish
- Fill a highball glass with ice cubes.
- Add gin and lime juice.
- Top with soda water, and stir.
- Garnish with a lime wedge or wheel.
Learn more about mixology from award-winning bartenders. Refine your palate, explore the world of spirits, and shake up the perfect cocktail for your next gathering with the MasterClass All-Access Pass.