Jump To Section
What Is a Whiskey Smash?
A Whiskey Smash is a classic cocktail made with whiskey, fresh lemon juice, and mint leaves. Smashes can be built in a cocktail glass, served with pieces of lemon and mint floating in the drink, or made in a cocktail shaker and strained for a cleaner presentation. The Whiskey Smash is similar to a Mint Julep—which is basically a Smash minus the lemon—and the Mojito, which is made with lime juice and ice cubes instead of lemon and rum rather than whiskey.
3 Whiskey Smash Variations
Though a classic Whiskey Smash is made with just lemon and mint, as with any of the best whiskey drinks, this whiskey cocktail can be dressed up with seasonal fruit.
- Try grapefruit or orange juice, or orange slices, instead of the lemon wedges.
- Muddle berries, like fresh strawberries or blueberries into the whiskey drink.
- Add a dash of Angostura Bitters or swap the simple syrup for maple syrup.
Classic Whiskey Smash Cocktail Recipe
Prep Time5 min
Total Time5 min
- 6–8 fresh mint leaves
- ½ lemon, sliced into 3–4 wedges
- 1 tablespoon simple syrup
- 2 ounces Kentucky bourbon (or rye whiskey)
- 2 mint sprigs, to serve
- In a rocks glass, use a muddler to mash the mint leaves with the lemon and simple syrup.
- Add crushed ice to fill halfway, then pour Kentucky bourbon (or rye whiskey) over and stir.
- Add more crushed ice to fill and garnish with mint sprigs.
Learn more about mixology from award-winning bartenders. Refine your palate, explore the world of spirits, and shake up the perfect cocktail for your next gathering with the MasterClass All-Access Pass.