Ways to Serve Italian Sausage and Peppers
Italian sausage and peppers offer just enough flexibility to suit the mood of a weeknight meal—some days demand sweet Italian sausage, while others call for hot Italian sausage. Here are a few ways to serve the delicious pairing:
- Hoagies: Stuff fresh hoagie rolls with sausage and peppers and top with provolone cheese for a basic, on-the-go classic.
- Pasta sauce: Add sausage and peppers to diced tomatoes to level up a marinara sauce with penne.
- Casserole: Combine peppers and sausage in a baking dish with cooked white rice (or cauliflower rice for an even healthier gluten-free meal) or pasta, and top with bread crumbs and mozzarella for a melty, savory casserole.
- Pizza: Top pizza dough with red or white sauce, a layer of rich mozzarella, an even layer of baked sausage and peppers, and grated Parmesan cheese.
Delicious Sausage and Peppers Recipe
Prep Time15 min
Total Time45 min
Cook Time30 min
- 4 Italian sausage links (or a 12 oz. package)
- 2 large bell peppers (a mix of green and red bell peppers)
- ½ medium yellow onion or red onion, sliced lengthwise into half moons
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3–4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 385°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced sausage, peppers, onion, garlic, crushed red pepper, and oregano, and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the olive oil, and toss well to combine.
- Spread an even layer onto a roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet.
- Cook until onions are browned and caramelized at the edges, sausage is crisp and juicy, and peppers are tender but not mushy, about 30 minutes, tossing halfway through.
Become a better chef with the MasterClass All-Access Pass. Gain access to exclusive video lessons taught by culinary masters, including Gabriela Cámara, Chef Thomas Keller, Massimo Bottura, Dominique Ansel, Gordon Ramsay, Alice Waters, and more.