Jump To Section
What to Serve With Carrot Ginger Soup
For a creamy carrot soup, add a swirl of heavy cream, sour cream, or Greek yogurt (or substitute coconut milk for dairy-free, vegan carrot soup). If you have fresh herbs like chives or cilantro, use them as a garnish along with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.
Carrot ginger soup can be an appetizer or a main dish. Serve it with grilled cheese sandwiches, cauliflower steak, roasted veggies (zucchini, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash), arugula avocado salad, Mediterranean chickpea salad, or a crusty loaf of bread.
How Long Does Carrot Soup Last
Carrot soup will keep for two to five days in the fridge, and it freezes well. To freeze, pour cooled soup into jars, leaving at least an inch of headspace at the top of the jar. To reheat your ginger and roasted carrot soup, defrost it in the refrigerator overnight, then heat in the microwave or in a pot on the stovetop over low heat.
Simple Carrot Ginger Soup Recipe
Prep Time15 min
Total Time1 hr
Cook Time45 min
- 2 pounds carrots, trimmed and scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more to serve
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or substitute more olive oil for a vegan version)
- 1 yellow onion, diced (or substitute 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 4-inch knob fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 6 cups chicken broth (or substitute vegetable broth for a vegan version)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, to serve
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Arrange carrots in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt and toss to coat. Roast carrots until golden brown and fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Heat remaining olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add garlic cloves and ginger and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, puree roasted carrots. Transfer roasted carrots to the bowl of a food processor with enough chicken broth to make a thick puree, about 1 cup. Blend roasted carrots and chicken broth until smooth, then transfer pureed roasted carrots to the soup pot.
- Add remaining chicken broth, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, cayenne, paprika, and turmeric. Stir to combine, then increase to medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and continue simmering until flavorful, about 10 minutes. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth for a creamy soup, or skip for a more chunky soup.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Ladle into bowls and serve with a drizzle of olive oil.
Become a better chef with the MasterClass All-Access Pass. Gain access to exclusive video lessons taught by culinary masters, including Gabriela Cámara, Chef Thomas Keller, Massimo Bottura, Dominique Ansel, Gordon Ramsay, Alice Waters, and more.