Jump To Section
What Is Chicken Parmesan?
Chicken parmesan, or chicken parmigiana, is a crispy fried chicken breast that is baked in a tomato sauce then topped with melted mozzarella, parmesan, or provolone cheese. Chicken parmesan is an Italian-American riff on melanzane alla Parmigiana (also known as eggplant parmesan) and a traditional preparation of breaded and fried veal cutlets called cotoletta, which is served without sauce or melted cheese.
What to Serve With Chicken Parmesan
You can serve chicken parmesan with crusty, buttery garlic bread to soak up all the red sauce and melted cheese. You can also serve it with another Americana favorite, the caesar salad. For an easy way to incorporate your daily serving of veggies, serve chicken parmesan over fresh zucchini noodles.
In countries like Australia, chicken parmesan is served with a side of fries and a green salad, but in North America, the format is a little looser: Chicken parmesan can be served as a standalone dish, tucked into a sandwich, or as a saucy, savory showpiece on a bed of cooked angel hair pasta (or any other noodle of choice).
Classic Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Prep Time15 min
Total Time45 min
Cook Time30 min
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin with a meat mallet or sliced in half to form 4 thin cutlets
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 large eggs, beaten with 2 teaspoons water
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs or Italian breadcrumbs
- ½ cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 ½ cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh mozzarella cheese, torn or sliced into rounds
- Fresh basil, sliced into ribbons
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Combine flour, garlic powder, and oregano and transfer to a shallow dish or plate. Separate the egg mixture and breadcrumbs onto their own respective plates.
- Dredge chicken in flour mixture, then egg wash, ending with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing gently to adhere breadcrumbs in an even layer.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When oil begins to shimmer, add breaded chicken cutlets to the skillet and pan fry until golden brown and crispy, about 4–5 minutes per side. Remove and set on a paper towel-lined plate or baking sheet to soak up any excess oil.
- Transfer chicken to a casserole or baking dish. Cover with marinara sauce, and top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake until cheese is browned in spots and bubbling, about 15–20 minutes. Remove and garnish with basil.
Become a better chef with the MasterClass All-Access Pass. Gain access to exclusive video lessons taught by culinary masters, including Gabriela Cámara, Chef Thomas Keller, Massimo Bottura, Dominique Ansel, Gordon Ramsay, Alice Waters, and more.