How to Make Planter’s Punch
The basic ingredients of Planter’s Punch are rum, citrus, and sweetener, but there’s plenty of room for experimentation.
- Rum: Classic Planter’s Punch should always be made with Jamaican rum or another dark rum, preferably one from the Caribbean islands of Martinique or Barbados. You can also try layering a darker rum with a lighter one.
- Fruit juice: For a fruity punch, layer fresh orange juice, fresh pineapple juice, and fresh lemon juice. For a less fruity punch, try fresh lime juice alone.
- Sweetener: Simple syrup is an easy way to sweeten a cocktail. Try making a simple syrup with demerara sugar for a more complex flavor.
- Grenadine: A splash of grenadine adds both sweetness and color. Learn how to make grenadine with our recipe here.
- Bitters: Bitters are optional but can balance out the sweetness from the fruit juice and simple syrup. Orange-flavored bitters like Angostura complement the flavors of the punch.
- Garnish: Mix and match mint sprigs, orange slices, pineapple wedges, and maraschino cherries.
Planter’s Punch Recipe
Prep Time5 min
Total Time5 min
- 1½ ounces rum
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 ounce pineapple juice
- ⅔ ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ⅓ ounce grenadine
- ⅓ ounce simple syrup
- 3–4 dashes Angostura bitters
- Optional: 1 maraschino cherry, for garnish
- Optional: 1 fresh pineapple slice, for garnish
- Combine rum, orange juice, pineapple juice, lemon juice, grenadine, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well, until the outside of the shaker becomes frosty.
- Pour into a highball glass filled with ice.
- Top with bitters and garnish with cherry and pineapple, if desired.
Learn more about mixology from award-winning bartenders. Refine your palate, explore the world of spirits, and shake up the perfect cocktail for your next gathering with the MasterClass All-Access Pass.