What Is Hazelnut Butter?
Hazelnut butter is a spread made by blending roasted hazelnuts into a paste. This flavorful nut butter is an excellent source of protein, fiber, antioxidants, vitamin B, and vitamin E. With its rich, nutty flavor, hazelnut butter makes a perfect accompaniment to toast, pancakes, ice cream, and cookies.
3 Ways to Use Hazelnut Butter
The simplest way to enjoy hazelnut butter is to spread it on toast, but it really shines in desserts.
- Mix it with chocolate. You can make a homemade version of Nutella, the creamy Italian chocolate hazelnut butter, by incorporating raw cacao powder or ground chocolate chips into your hazelnut butter.
- Use it as an ice cream topping. Add extra richness and texture to chocolate or vanilla ice cream with the addition of a tablespoon of hazelnut butter.
- Add it to cookies. Add hazelnut butter into your next batch of chocolate chip cookies for another layer of richness.
Homemade Hazelnut Butter Recipe
Prep Time10 min
Total Time25 min
Cook Time15 min
- 2 cups raw hazelnuts
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- For a more flavorful spread, start by roasting the hazelnuts (optional). Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread hazelnuts on an ungreased rimmed baking sheet in a single layer, and roast until fragrant and golden brown, about 10–15 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, pulse roasted hazelnuts until finely chopped, about 30 seconds. For chunky hazelnut butter, remove ¼ cup chopped nuts and set aside.
- Process until nuts form a smooth, thick paste, about three minutes, pausing every minute or so to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add salt, oil, and maple syrup and continue to process until fully incorporated, about a minute. For chunky hazelnut butter, add the chopped nuts back in and pulse a few times to incorporate.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month. If oil separation occurs, simply stir until smooth.
Become a better chef with the MasterClass Annual Membership. Gain access to exclusive video lessons taught by culinary masters, including Gabriela Cámara, Chef Thomas Keller, Massimo Bottura, Dominique Ansel, Gordon Ramsay, Alice Waters, and more.