25 Horror Writing Prompts
- A scary doll comes to life.
- A scene from a nightmare comes true the next day.
- Days go by, and your parents don’t come home.
- You feel yourself slowly becoming a monster.
- Your friends start to disappear, and no one else notices.
- You’re lost in the woods, and you don’t know how you got there.
- You’re inhabited by a ghost that controls you and makes you do crazy things.
- You have no reflection in the mirror.
- The teacher is a monster, but no one will believe you.
- You hypnotize your brother, and you can’t snap him out of it.
- A fortune teller reveals that you are evil.
- Someone follows you home, and it’s your exact double.
- You find a diary that tells the future.
- Every time you wake up, you’re a different person.
- Your parents explain that you are actually an alien from another planet.
- You know someone is watching you day and night from the house across the street.
- You realize you are shrinking.
- While reading a scary book, you realize that you’re a character in it.
- Someone is living in your mirror.
- Everyone knows the new neighbors are vampires, and the kids invite you over for a sleepover.
- All the cats in a small town vanish in the middle of the night….and all that remains is a set of big, scary teeth smashed into a car door.
- A group of friends takes on the zombie apocalypse.
- Strange things start happening after the grandfather clock starts to speak.
- You finally meet your child’s imaginary friend. Who turns out to be a serial killer.
- When a local police officer goes to investigate the haunted house down the street, he finds a young girl who died decades ago.
Want to Learn More About Writing?
Become a better writer with the Masterclass All-Access Pass. Gain access to exclusive video lessons taught by literary masters, including R.L. Stine, Neil Gaiman, David Baldacci, Joyce Carol Oates, Dan Brown, Margaret Atwood, and more.