Jump To Section
What Is the Best Fish for Sashimi?
Wolfgang Puck uses tuna and suggests using either yellowtail, bigeye, or farm-raised bluefin as he does in his restaurants. However, sashimi can be made from many other fresh fish, crustaceans, and mollusks. Ahi tuna steaks sashimi and salmon sashimi are common types of sashimi.
Tuna Sashimi Recipe With Fennel Apple Salad
Prep Time15 min
Total Time30 min
- 8 oz sushi grade tuna
- 1/2 cup pickled ginger, julienned
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ají paste
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- salt Ponzu
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp ginger, peeled and grated
- 2–3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 fuji apple
- 2 cups mesclun salad mix
- Vietnamese rice paper rolls, broiled until crispy, 15–30 seconds
- radish slices
- daikon sprouts
- fennel pollen
- Fresno chili pepper slices
- Red jalapeño slices
- Edible flowers or sprouts
- Start with the avocado puree. Cut the avocado in quarters. Take out the pit and use a spoon to scrape out the contents. Pass it through a tamis, or blend it in a small blender. Squeeze in the lemon juice and season with salt. Taste.
- Next, make the vinaigrette. Combine the chili paste and orange juice in a small bowl. Stir well. Season with salt and set aside.
- Move on to the ponzu sauce. In another small bowl, add the soy sauce. Grate in ginger using a microplane. Squeeze in lemon juice. Mix together. Taste.
- To make the salad, slice the fennel bulb and the apple on a mandolin. Then julienne the slices and place them in a small bowl. Cut the mesclun greens and add them to the apple and fennel. Season the salad with salt. Immediately dress with the ají chili vinaigrette to prevent the apples from browning. Taste.
- Now cut the tuna on an angle into pieces about 1⁄8 of an inch thick. Put 1⁄2 tsp ginger on each slice of tuna and roll up.
Place a few spoonfuls of avocado puree on the edge of the plate, then use a spatula to decoratively spread it across one half of the plate. Place 5 pieces of tuna on the avocado puree, then drizzle with the ponzu sauce. Place a helping of salad in the center of the plate. Using your tweezers, place radishes, red and green jalapeño slices, daikon sprouts, and edible flowers or sprouts around the plate. Garnish the plate by breaking pieces off the Vietnamese rice paper rolls and placing them around your salad. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
Find more restaurant recipes in Wolfgang Puck’s MasterClass.