Jump To Section
What Is Everything Bagel Seasoning?
Everything bagel seasoning is a spice blend that features soft and toasty seeds, like poppy and sesame; sharp, aromatic spices like caraway, dried alliums like garlic or onions, and coarse salt for crunch. Variations of the unique spice blend sometimes include Parmesan cheese or chili flakes. You can use everything bagel seasoning to enhance the flavor of casseroles and potato side dishes and as a garnish on breakfast items like scrambled eggs and avocado toast.
4 Ways to Use Everything Bagel Seasoning
The everything bagel spice blend is more than a topping for bagels and baked goods: It elevates various condiments, too. Here are a few common uses:
- Use it as a seasoning. Adorn store-bought or homemade bagels with DIY everything bagel seasoning for a traditional take on the deli classic. Just brush the bagel’s surface with a light coating of warm water before dipping it in the seasoning to help it adhere.
- Use it as a garnish. You can sprinkle everything bagel seasoning over dips like hummus or sour cream or serve it alongside roasted veggies or a crudité platter. Like cream cheese, the sharp, savory flavors of the spice blend are a natural contrast to the cold, creamy, dairy-free tones of avocado toast.
- Use it to enhance flavor. Everything bagel seasoning can transform gluten-free dishes like baked potatoes, scrambled eggs, or casseroles with this salty, seedy mix. Add chopped herbs like scallions or dill for a fresh burst of complementary flavor.
- Use it on baked goods. Buttery, flaky pastry is a natural match for everything bagel blends. Work a few tablespoons of the seasoning into the dough for flatbreads, scones, or use it as a garnish on the edges of a savory galette before baking.
Everything Bagel Seasoning Recipe
Prep Time5 min
Total Time5 min
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon flaked sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic, dried garlic flakes, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes or 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Store in an air-tight container in between uses.
Become a better chef with the MasterClass Annual Membership. Gain access to exclusive video lessons taught by culinary masters, including Gabriela Cámara, Chef Thomas Keller, Yotam Ottolenghi, Dominique Ansel, Gordon Ramsay, Alice Waters, and more.