What Is Harissa?
Harissa is a North African blend of spices and chilis. It’s common to find it in a paste, or you can make your own. It can vary from place to place with some versions using smoked chilis, sun-dried tomatoes, or even rose petals (which give the spice its signature red color). Green harissa sauce builds upon the flavor profile by introducing herbs, lemon juice, and extra virgin olive oil into the mix.
Gordon Ramsay’s Green Harissa Paste Recipe
- 5.3 ounces (or 10. tablespoons) deseeded jalapenos
- 3.5 ounces (or 7 tablespoons) coriander leaves
- 2.8 ounces or 5. tablespoons parsley leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon spring onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3⅓ ounces olive oil
- 3⅓ ounces grapeseed oil
- Food processor / pestle and mortar
- Either place everything in a food processor and blitz until smooth or finely chop everything by hand and mix together.
- After, season with salt to taste.
Learn how to make restaurant recipes at home with Gordon Ramsay here.