What to Serve With Baked Cod
As a buttery, mild white fish, baked cod is a flexible ingredient that can be served with a variety of garnishes. Tuck it into tacos with all the fixings on the side, or roast it solo and pair it with other items in your pantry or crisper.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables make a great pairing with baked cod. Pick your veggies based on what’s in season: Snappy green asparagus, ramps, new potatoes, and meaty mushrooms come spring and summer, or root vegetables and brassicas like carrots, baby beets, fennel, parsnips, and cauliflower in fall and winter. You can roast the vegetables separately, or toss them on the same pan as the baked cod for easier clean-up.
- Whole grains: A whole grain like farro adds a nutty, earthy dimension to the plate, as well as a pleasing textural counterpoint to the fall-apart tender cod. Dress it up with fresh pomegranate seeds or toasted pine nuts to add a crunchy texture to your meal.
- Sauces: A bright, tangy salsa verde, a roasted red pepper romesco sauce, or a loose olive tapenade with red onion, capers, fresh parsley, and lemon juice adds dimension and depth to baked cod filets.
- Greens: Keep things light with a simple green salad dressed in a red wine or champagne vinaigrette. Add herbs like dill, parsley, or tarragon for pops of aromatic flavor, or toss in an assortment of bitter leaves like radicchio, frisée, or mustard greens for a mesclun mix.
Baked Cod Recipe
Prep Time5 min
Total Time30 min
Cook Time25 min
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or finely minced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cod fillets
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine melted butter, olive oil, garlic, paprika, and curry powder and whisk to combine.
- Place fish in a baking dish or on a rimmed baking sheet and season both sides with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and butter mixture.
- Bake cod until soft and beginning to flake apart, about 20–25 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Become a better chef with the MasterClass All-Access Pass. Gain access to exclusive video lessons taught by culinary masters, including Gabriela Cámara, Chef Thomas Keller, Massimo Bottura, Dominique Ansel, Gordon Ramsay, Alice Waters, and more.