Jump To Section
Style is all about fun, even when you’re at work. If your wardrobe has a few versatile pieces (also known as a capsule wardrobe), you can mix, match, and rotate different looks to make it easier to transition your corporate work outfit into a chic night look.
How to Transition Your Outfit From Day to Night
Style is all about how you put fashion together to create your own personal look. If you have some staple work-appropriate pieces that you are looking to turn into a stylish evening look, check out the following tips:
- The little black dress. A work-appropriate black dress is one of the best daytime fashion pieces that can easily transition into a night look with just a few tweaks. You can pair a black dress with a blazer and sneakers during the day, and switch to a heel for after-work drinks. Pair with chunky jewelry and colorful accessories to create a more casual look.
- The skirt. Midi skirts and wrap skirts have long been a staple of office attire. They come in a range of fits, from loose and flowy to the classic pencil skirt. These skirts pair well with a long-sleeve top, blouse, or turtleneck as a day outfit, and when you’re ready for nightwear, you can pair it with a tank or ruffle top, and throw a leather jacket over your look to give it a chic aesthetic. If you’re wearing a midi dress or wrap dress, add a leather jacket, or a pair of strappy shoes to create a stylish after-hours outfit.
- The shirtdress. A shirtdress is another versatile piece that can be modified in a variety of ways. For styling as a day look, wear it with denim jeans or leggings at the office, and at night, you can undo a few top buttons and wear it as a solo dress with strappy shoes and a bold purse.
- The jumpsuit. A neutral or print jumpsuit is an all-in-one outfit that can work in a professional and casual setting (as long as the print is appropriate for your corporate setting). Pair with a black blazer and sensible shoes during the day, and when you’re ready to take this look out with friends for the night, switch to a heel or denim jacket to complete the outfit.
- The silk blouse. Sleeveless, collared, or button-up, a silk blouse is one of the most versatile pieces you can have in your wardrobe. For a day look, you can wear a silk blouse with slacks or a long skirt and drape a camisole or cardigan over your shoulders. At night, pair the blouse with skinny jeans or a miniskirt, and a bold statement necklace.
- Culottes. As workwear, pair culottes with a graphic T-shirt, cardigan, and clean, white sneakers. For a night look, add a silk blouse and a flattering pump to be ready for date night or a dinner with friends.
Want to Learn More About Unleashing Your Inner Fashionista?
Get a MasterClass Annual Membership and let Tan France be your very own style spirit guide. Queer Eye’s fashion guru spills everything he knows about building a capsule collection, finding a signature look, understanding proportions, and more (including why it’s important to wear underwear to bed)—all in a soothing British accent, no less.