How to Make the Best Bloody Mary at Home
A good Bloody Mary starts with the tomato base, which should be savory, tangy, and a little spicy. For a single drink, combine half a cup Bloody Mary mix with one-and-a-half ounces of vodka (or tequila for a Bloody Maria) and half an ounce of fresh lemon juice or lime juice. Pour it over ice and garnish with a celery stalk or dill pickle spear, or use skewers to make a pickle garnish of pickled okra or green beans.
For a little something extra, add a celery salt rim to your Bloody Mary. To make your own celery salt, combine half a teaspoon of salt with half a teaspoon of celery seed on a small plate. Rub a lemon wedge around the rim of a glass, then invert glass onto the celery salt plate.
Homemade Bloody Mary Mix Recipe
Makesenough for 12 cocktails
Prep Time10 min
Total Time1 hr 10 min
- 6 cups tomato juice
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (or substitute fresh lemon juice or pickle juice)
- 2 teaspoons celery salt (or 1 teaspoon celery seeds plus 1 teaspoon salt)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher or wide-mouth jar and stir or shake to mix.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 3 days to give the flavors time to meld. Ingredients may separate, so stir or shake before serving.
Learn more about mixology from award-winning bartenders. Refine your palate, explore the world of spirits, and shake up the perfect cocktail for your next gathering with the MasterClass All-Access Pass.