What Is a Yellow Bird Cocktail?
A Yellow Bird is a rum-based drink with a bright yellow color. According to the International Bartenders Association, it has just four ingredients: white rum, yellow Galliano, triple sec, and fresh lime juice. Many Yellow Bird recipes, however, take the drink into Caribbean-punch territory with the addition of orange juice, pineapple juice, and playful garnishes such as maraschino cherries, or pineapple wedges.
Yellow Bird Ingredients
The Yellow Bird has just four simple ingredients:
- Galliano L’Autentico: Galliano liqueur is what gives the Yellow Bird its distinctive hue. Made with vanillin, star anise, and aniseed, Galliano is 30% ABV and adds a warm vanilla note to the cocktail.
- White rum: Light rum is a must for this cocktail. Dark rum will turn the Yellow Bird brown.
- Triple sec: Triple sec is an orange-flavored (and orange-colored!) liqueur with 15–40% ABV, depending on the brand. It’s also an ingredient in the Margarita and the Cosmopolitan.
- Lime juice: Everything’s better with a little acidity. Fresh lime juice keeps this drink balanced.
Yellow Bird Recipe
Prep Time5 min
Total Time5 min
- 1 ounce white rum
- ½ ounce Galliano
- ½ ounce Triple Sec
- ½ ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine all ingredients.
- Shake until the outside of the glass becomes frosty, then strain into a coupe glass or Martini glass and serve straight up.
Learn more about mixology from award-winning bartenders. Refine your palate, explore the world of spirits, and shake up the perfect cocktail for your next gathering with the MasterClass Annual Membership.